Re: NEC-LIST:Loaded dipoles

From: Prof Duncan Baker <dbaker_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:58:09 +0200

Hi all.

Many years ago I ran into a problem with a thin stainless steel antenna for use
at HF. The developers and teh intended purchasers only saw this beautiful SWR.
Problem was that at best the antenna was some 25% efficient. So depending on
what you wanted to do, and how much spare power you had ...

If on the other hand the antenna is intended for reception, you need to look at
so-called active antennas.

Duncan Baker.

Chuck Counselman wrote:

> <tuli_at_bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> >The antenna is multiband (40,80,120,160 MHz + 20 MHz, +/- 2MHz around each).
> >The idea is to feed the 160MHz monopole and get the match by proximity
> >coupling for all other monopoles. I'm all set for all other bands except the
> >20 MHz.
> >A matching network at the input will affect all the other bands (lower
> >efficiency) which I am trying to avoid.
> >This is why The only way (I see) is to wrap the 20 MHz dipole in a resistive
> >film. This way, only the 20 MHz monopole will be affected (see "The
> >Open-Sleeve Antenna" by Roger A. Cox on CQ, August 19983 pp.13-19).
> >The inductive loading would be by replacing the monopole with a coil ?
>
> Resistive loading of the antenna accomplishes nothing but to
> dissipate power. If dissipation is your goal, you can get it more
> easily with a resistive pad in the feedline between the antenna and
> your transmitter and/or receiver. The only advantage of distributing
> the resistance that I can imagine is to dissipate the heat into the
> air more easily.
>
> To test my statements, use NEC. NEC can distribute the loading, as
> well as lump it.
>
> You are correct that "a matching network at the input will affect all
> the other bands." However, efficiency defined as power radiated
> divided by power input is not affected, except trivially by resistive
> loss in the matching-network components.
>
> The frequency range you give is 8:1. I have a very similar situation
> myself, in my ham station. I operate all ham bands 80 through 10
> meters, i.e., 3.5 MHz through 28 MHz. Here's what works for me. It
> gives me a VSWR of 6 or 7:1 in the worst cases (7 and 14 MHz), and
> under 1.7:1 on 3.5, 21, 25, and 28 MHz, excepting one pathological
> special case of 17:1 at 10 MHz, which doesn't bother me because hams
> aren't allowed to transmit more than 200 watts at that frequency,
> whereas I can and do transmit 1.5 kW on all other bands. Since this
> pathological case is at one-third of my highest frequency, it seems
> equally irrelevant for you.
>
> My antenna is a horizontal wire 30 m long, fed at its center with a
> parallel-wire transmission line having Zo = 600 ohms, and 12 m long.
> Then there's a 4:1 balun transformer, then an unbalanced C-L-C "tee"
> matching network to a 50-ohm coaxial line to my transmitter and
> receiver. In other words, the matching network comprises a series C,
> then a shunt L to ground, then a series C. This is a "high-pass"
> filter configuration. It is fixed-tuned to give me a perfect match
> to 50 ohms resistive at 3.7 MHz. I.e., I never adjust it.
>
> You could easily adapt my scheme to your situation by making it
> unbalanced, since you say you have a monopole, not a dipole; and by
> scaling it in frequency. My scheme is essentially lossless, as it
> must be because I transmit 1500 watts.
>
> 73 de Chuck, W1HIS
> --

Tired of the Nigerian Scam/Spam being sent to you via YAHOO?
Place a filter on YAHOO and sleep more soundly at night.
Prof. Duncan C. Baker (Pr. Eng., FIEEE, FSAIEE, Sci. Nat.)
Dept. of Electrical Electronic and Computer Eng.,
University of Pretoria, 0002 Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA.
PHONE +27 12 420 2775 (OFFICE),  +27 12 361 7480 (HOME)
FAX   +27 12 362 5000 (OFFICE),  +27 12 348 5314 (HOME)
E-MAIL: University: dbaker_at_postino.up.ac.za
        IEEE alias address: duncan.baker_at_ieee.org
 Private server address:  apc_at_acenet.co.za
LOCAL STANDARD TIME = UT+2 HOURS