RE: NEC-LIST: Modelling the RF absorber

From: Daryl Van Vorst <darylv_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:47:33 -0800

Andre, and others,

That thought crossed my mind too... I'll play around with it. I'll let you
know if I find anything interesting or useful. :)

I'm fairly new to computational electromagnetics... so I don't yet have a
good feeling for the real limitations of MoM (but I'm learning, and I'll be
ordering books shortly :-). From what I've read so far on this list, I'm
starting to think that modeling a GTEM with NEC is futile, but it's all a
learning experience.

Is there a theoretical reason why NEC does not do well with entirely
enclosed simulations (like TEM cells)? And by "does not do well", should I
expect entirely bogus results, or do I just need to be very careful about
how I set up the model?

Also, because a GTEM isn't symmetrical, I would assume that the currents on
the top side of the septum are different than those on the bottom side of
the septum. The NEC documentation mentions that the formulation used for
surface patches does not work well for thin bodies. So a wire mesh might be
more appropriate - but NEC assumes uniform current on a wire... so a single
wire mesh won't work either. Perhaps two wire meshes?

-Daryl.