RE: NEC-LIST:MSAs in NEC

From: McCabe, Brian L <BMccabe_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:36:54 -0400

The short answer is that microstrip antennas can't be simulated in NEC or
its variants. There's no way to model the dielectric slab.

NEC is based on the free-space Green's function, which means that the
physical problem must be expressed as an unknown surface current
distribution radiating in free space. The user models all 'matter' in the
problem as discrete wire segments.

NEC allows you to add a dielectric coating to wires (I haven't used that
feature) but that can't be used to model a chunk of dielectric material.

I'm not familiar with Ouray, but there are a number of commercial moment
method codes for microstrip antennas. They're based on "spectral domain
Green's functions" for multilayer environments, which are derived by a
process similar to transmission-line analysis. These moment method codes
are more accurate than the cavity approximation.

Methods like finite difference time domain and finite elements can also be
applied to microstrip geometries.

Depending on your needs and expertise, you could even write your own moment
method code for a simple microstrip dipole or patch. There are many papers
by D. Pozar and his group at UMass (N. K. Das and D. M. Pozar, "A
Generalized Spectral Domain Green's Function for Multilayer Dielectric
Substrates with Application to Multilayer Transmission Lines," IEEE Trans.
on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. MTT-35, pp. 326-335, March 1987 is
a reasonable place to start.)

Hope this helps,

Brian