Re: NEC-List: Wire Radi to printed conductor?

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:13:04 -0400

At 3:02 PM -0400 5/10/02, Wayne Shanks wrote:
>My question was to get a simple first order adjustment for simulating thin
>straps in free space of width w by adjusting the radii of the NEC
>wires... I know that conductor interactions will be modeled
>poorly....

NEC models a conductor as a "thin wire," meaning effectively that
there is no circumferential variation of surface-current density, and
that the current is purely longitudinal. Conductor interactions will
be modeled well enough if conductors are separated laterally by much
more than the sum of their radii. If conductors are too closely
spaced, then not only does the cross-sectional shape of a conductor
matter, but also NEC will not accurately model even a
circular-cylindrical conductor.

>I guess there is a more broad question.
>
>Can you simulate an arbitrary cross-section conductor, by simply matching
>its capacitance, inductance, and effective resistivity per unit length with
>that of a cylindrical wire?
>It sound correct to me.

To me, too, again assuming that the thin-wire approximation is good.

-Chuck