Re: NEC-LIST: CIRCULAR POLARISATION

From: rsmueller <rsmueller_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 09:54:53 -0500

Zvi,

Jasik is correct, like polarizations are required.

If you transmit with an antenna with RHCP, you need to have an RHCP receive
antenna. The transmitted RHCP is going away with respect to the
transmitter. If you point your right hand thumb in the direction of
propagation the E-field will rotate to the right in the the direct of your
curled up fingers. for RHCP. You may think that the receiver sees the
transmitted signal as LHCP, but that is for the opposite direction of
propagation, coming toward the receiver. This is still RHCP, not LHCP. An
RHCP receive antenna is still required.

If that isn't good enough of an explanation, here is an analogy. Think of a
cork screw on which a ring is moving along in a helical motion. In order
to transfer the ring to a second cork screw, you have to have the same sense
cork screw. A similar analogy could be a right handed screw is needed in
order to drive it into a right handed hole, irriegardless of which end of
the hole you are trying to drive it through.

Example, now think of a helical antenna and how it is constructed. Imagine
creating a RHCP wave that is propagated toward a receing helix. It still
needs to be RHCP. Does this make more sense now?

I hope this explanation has helped,

Roland Mueller