Re: NEC-LIST: resonance and Q of an antenna and scattering system

From: <srbest_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:24:52 +0000

The Q of an antenna (2 omega W/Prad) can be accurately approximated from the
1/2 power matched VSWR bandwidth.

To determine the 1/2 power matched VSWR bandwidth (BW), a reactive element (L
or C) must be first added in series to the antenna impedance to make it
resonant at the frequency for which Q is to be determined. The BW is then
determined with respect to this now resonant frequency. Note that the
characteristic impedance used to determine the VSWR about this resonant
frequency must be equal to the resonant resistance. Additionally, the L or C
of the reactive element must be included in the VSWR calculations at all
frequencies. A 1/2 power VSWR is equal to 5.83:1.

Once the BW is determined, the Q of the antenna can be approximated as

Q = 2/BW

Steve Best