NEC-LIST: Re: resonance and Q of an antenna and biomedical issues

From: Trevor Marshall <tm_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 19:18:24 -0800

The concept of near-field reactive energy is interesting, as it could
affect the Biomedical safety of an antenna 'worn' near the body.

I guess that's another way of saying that I guess you have to assume that
all of the energy going into an electrically small antenna near a lossy
human body is going to be dissipated in that lossy body (worst case).

I have a problem (which I haven't solved yet) where I need to produce an ID
tag that can radiate on 140 MHz to a (low orbit) satellite network. It has
to be less than 2 inches diameter. Can anyone suggest a reasonably high
efficiency way of radiating the energy away from the tag. So far, my own
best idea has been a normal mode helix dropping down from one end of the
tag, but I figure maybe somebody else might be able to suggest a better
solution? Preferably one that radiates energy outwards rather than
dissipating it into the wearer. I would like to be able to put the
electronics on the rear of a 'ground plane', if possible, with an antenna
on the other side, but the dimensions are too small for such a concept,
aren't they? A 'patch' is far too large... Any ideas please?

Trevor Marshall