Re: NEC-LIST: Small antennas: can they me multiply resonant?

From: Dan Bathker <dab_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:31:29 -0800

Just a "simple" reminder -- *accuracy* versus *precision* -- the former being
in accordance with excellent Practice and Standards (even if not high
*precision*
measurements, but with 'verifiable' limits) while the latter may be extremely
careful measurements, with lots of decimal points AND the stats to support it,
but based on a corrupt standard, or a basic 'misteak', -- or not based on
fundamentally acceptable Standards -- a Big difference in mentality and
credibility
-- one can 'bet' on Accuracy but Beware of Precision only--

Example from the old days, an engineer measuring insertion loss of an
1-5/8 inch coax connection with a high *precision* bridge setup (unbolting,
rebolting, unbolting the flanges -- carefully, 20, 50 times, to get an estimate
of the Standard Deviation [precision] of his measurements) and finding about
3-1/2 dB (!) "loss" to a few milli-dB's (very high *precision* measurements) but

*totally* inaccurate (NO *accuracy*) as he made a vital 'misteak',
forgetting to insert the coax "bullet" each time, thus connecting the centre
conductors), getting capacitive coupling only, and not recognizing his blunder
after the first or second run, 'blindly recording 'data' this, at about 1 GHz.
(Don't 'bet' on the 3.518 dB loss reported).
(Turns out, he had an excellent lesson about the "Difference" between the two
definitions). AND, varying the frequency of such measurements will frequently
expose such errors.

Antenna measurements being far more difficult than measuring closed coax,
waveguide (non-radiating) insertion loss; in general, one cannot be toooo
careful with the twin aspects of precision and accuracy with 'aerials'......

"Please, guys, Never bring me 'narrowband, single-frequency results', look a
little wider, and do some 'tire-kicking' (misteak) explorations".......

K6BLG