Re: NEC-LIST: Bazooka balun verification.

From: Dan Bathker <dab_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:52:35 -0800

Consider the possibility of connecting your *inner* coax to an antenna
of some sort, perhaps a quarterwave vertical with finite groundplane. The
vertical plane pattern depends on whether or not one is exciting the outer
conductor of the usual coax feed, up near the feedpoint. If your choke is
*not* working you will likely be able to affect the vertical plane radiation
pattern with "hand" or other (metal preferred) ("tinfoil") object experiments
near the base of the groundplane.

Not at all quantitative, though.

There is a ham radio antenna company in the Northwest that uses two rather
long metal cones to choke off V-pol VHF transmission line currents thus getting max
V-pol radiation where you want it -- at the horizon. No wasteful "cloud warming" with that approach. Seems to me they or their consultant have published a useful paper
on V-pol vertical plane patterns as affected by unwanted transmission line currents.

dab