Re: NEC-LIST: Macintosh NEC Programs

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 10:15:05 -0700 (PDT)

At 1:56 AM -0700 10/4/03, WX7S wrote:
>I'm looking for NEC based programs that will run on a Macintosh computer.
>Can anyone provide me with a lead?

Once upon a time (ten years ago?), several Macintosh-executable
versions of NEC-2 that several people (possibly including me -- I
don't recall) had compiled were available from NEC-related web
servers. I recall compiling NEC-2 for the PowerPC Mac back when I
had a PowerBook 5300ce, with a 503e (?) processor. That code also
ran well on my PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet). Those executables may
still be available from some web server; I don't know, but I bet
Google would tell you.

I just looked on the hard disk of my current Mac (a PowerBook G4) but
found no trace of NEC-2 (except a user manual in MS Word format). I
switched to NEC-4 about seven years ago, IIRC; but I can't give
anyone a copy of NEC-4. Whereas NEC-2 was public-domain, NEC-4 is
licensed with restrictions (and a substantial $$ price). I'm sorry.

If pressed, I could root through boxes of ancient archives, and I
could probably find copies of my old NEC-2 PPC executables. IIRC, I
compiled both single- and double-precision versions, and I compiled
versions allowing various maximum numbers of segments, e.g., 300,
600, 1200, 2500, and 5000, although once I got enough RAM installed
in my Mac, I used only the biggest double-precision version, 'cuz it
launched and executed as fast as any of them.

73 -Chuck, W1HIS