Re: NEC-LIST: Ansoft HFSS vs NEC etc.

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:55:05 -0700 (PDT)

At 8:29 AM -0700 10/11/03, Jim Lux wrote:
>How did you model the supporting structure for the antenna?

Mainly I used wire mesh, with wire radius set by the equal-area rule,
to model conducting surfaces. IIRC, I set the center-to-center
spacing of the wires equal to 1/9th of the L1 wavelength, except that
I densified the mesh near the array elements. I remember also trying
surface patches to model conducting surfaces, and coming to the
conclusion that, for the same number of unknowns, NEC did a better
job using wire mesh than using surface patches. I recall asking some
guru (Jerry Burke?) about the use of patches versus wire mesh, and he
confirmed my conclusion. However, I don't recall why he said wires
work better.

BTW, I also modeled a choke-ring antenna for GPS using wire mesh.
IIRC, that modeling worked pretty well, too.

>I'd be interested in the model files....

I've emailed them, and plots from NECPLT and PATPLT, to you directly.

73 -Chuck, W1HIS