Re: NEC-LIST: NEC-LIST:Ground stake effect.

From: D. B. Miron <dbmiron_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 06:43:04 -0800 (PST)

Jacob,

The antenna is fed by 50 ft. of RG-8 coax, all but about 15
ft of which is coiled and lying on the cement floor of my
steel building shop. I have made measurements through the
coax with the Autek RF1, MFJ259B, and Palomar RX100 Noise
Bridge. The most recent measurements were with the MFJ259B
Impedance Analyzer with its ground terminal grounded. Also,
the SWR variation across the band is duplicated on the
Kenwood TS570's meter, with and without the stake
connection. When in use, the transceiver is grounded by the
same 4 ft long #14 wire as when I was doing the
measurements.

While I know that shield currents from a mismatch can be an
issue, I believe the 15 fit is too short for this effect to
be a factor at 75 m. Also, the fact that the ground stake
improves the SWR all across the band suggests that the
effect is at the antenna.

Doug