Re: NEC-LIST: Large Model Problems....

From: Carrigan, Ken <KCarrigan_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:21:04 -0800 (PST)

Rob,
Just from calculating the ratio of a quarterwave 2.4GHz
dipoles (2-180 degree wires) with a 10 foot dish (3.4 meters)
the ratio suggests over 11,000:1. NEC usually needs not less
then 10:1 length vs wavelength to be somewhat accurate. This
is one major problem with modeling microwave frequencies with
NEC on larger structures. For situations like this, I would
using something like TLM, which instead of N^2 matrix's it's
more like N computations. I seen some good results with using
this on X-Band radar EMI - modeling RAM and Navy Mast
structures. Amazing results with larger structures and
microwave frequencies.
v/r

Kenneth Carrigan
Electromagnetic Engineer,