Re: NEC-LIST: Including lossy coax in a simulation model - CORRECTION

From: Jan Gunmar <jan.sm0aqw_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:43:05 -0800 (PST)

Hello all:

I have discovered an error in my above posting; I forgot the factor Zo
in the formulas and the corrected text is as follows:
---------------------------

A tip to MULTINEC users:

NEC-2:s TL facility for transmission lines only provides for lossless lines,
which can be a drawback when trying to study various coax dipoles and
"magic" antennas like the W5GI antenna, which all incorporate shorted stubs
of coaxial cable in the antenna structure.

As MULTINEC is a worksheet in Excel it is not too difficult to represent a
shorted lossy coax stub as a variable R+jX load using Excel worksheet
expressions for the formulas

R = Zo*Re[tanh(alfa + j*beta)]
X = Zo*Im[tanh(alfa + j*beta)],

where alfa + j*beta is the propagation constant of the coaxial cable. Alfa
and beta can easily be calculated using the loss factor, velocity factor,
frequency and physical length of the cable.

For an open lossy stub the equations are

R = Zo*Re[coth(alfa + j*beta)]
X = Zo*Im[coth(alfa + j*beta)]

I regret my mistake - probably due to increasing age!!

73 Jan/SM0AQW