Re: NEC-LIST: Plasma Antennas

From: <Fractenna_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 13:25:05 -0700 (PDT)

In a message dated 5/3/2004 9:48:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rsmueller_at_netzero.net writes:

> Hello to the group,
>
> I was wondering if anyone on the list has seen any of the new "Plasma
> Antennas" that Markland is advertising? I fundamentally understand how a
> plasma antenna could work, but, I am not convinced in it's performance
> claims: i.e. varial bandwidth, electronic scanning, etc. Has anyone built a
> practical plasma antenna to date?
>
> Roland Mueller

Yes. Butr frankly, Tesla beat us all by about 104 years... as best as I can
tell, this is described through several patents, the earliest related one being
#645,576, (claim 3). There are better Teslians than I (here); I'm sure they
know more details.

P.A.'s are RF inefficient. They also take (additional) power to radiate
power, so the true power load makes for very large inefficiencies. They are also
RF radiators--from bremstrahlung--without an exciter . To wit: an antenna with
wideband IMD-- without any radio attached:-)

On the plus side, they can be made fairly wide band and turned on and off
rather quickly. When off, they have very little radar cross section. That's
because when they are off they are not conductive.

Interested in other comments. I'm sure there are folks here who get paid to
make these...

73,
Chip N1IR