NEC-LIST: Basis functions in NEC.

From: D. B. Miron <dbmiron_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:21:47 -0500

Good day,

I have been reading the theory sections of both the NEC2
and NEC4 manual, concerning the basis functions. I am
beginning to think that I understand the system, so I'm
asking the NEC experts if I'm right.

In NEC2, the fundamental basis functions are a constant, a
sine, and a cosine function. Each of these components have
a domain of definition which extends over just their related
segment. Now associated with segment k is a main set of
these functions, say f_k, and a set of tail functions
defined over each connecting segment. Each of these tail
functions and its derivative go to zero at the end of its
domain segment farthest from segment k. f_k and the tail
functions have to meet current and charge continuity
conditons at each end of segment k.

For example, let's consider a 3-segment wire. On segment 1,
there is the main function f_1, and it has a tail function
defined over segment 2. On segment 2 there is f_2 and it
has tail functions defined over both segments 1 and 3. On
segment 3 the main function is f_3, and it has a tail
function defined over segment 2. Associated with segment 1
are six unknown coefficients and five continuity and
boundary conditions, if the charge at the open end is left
free. Associated with segment 2 are nine unknowns and 8
boundary and continuity conditions.

Is this right?

Doug Miron