Re: NEC-LIST: ex card near open wire end

From: Rian Sanderson <rsanderson_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:44:32 -0600

I appreciate everyone's replies. I'm a software guy, not an antenna
guy...but I'm reading like crazy. I realize that the simulator is a
tool much easier misused than used correctly.

My funny looking antenna was generated by software I wrote using genetic
programming. My software uses the same principles as a genetic
algorithm, but instead of encoding the antenna as a string of 1's and
0's that get reproduced and recombined, my antennas are represented via
LOGO instructions (move, rotate left, rotate right, etc).

I'm particularly interested in small antennas for 802.11 wireless LANs
and for GSM mobile phones. Right now I'm working with NEC because it is
so accessible, and I can build small wire antennas by hand. If things
work out well I'd like to use a simulator like Agilent ADS/Momentum for
PCB antennas.

The antenna I attached isn't the best result, but it's small, relatively
uncomplicated size makes it easier to deal with. When built it will
have an MMCX connector at its base which will be plugged into a MMCX to
U.FL mini coax cable attached to an 802.11a WLAN card with a microstrip
feed and ground plan on the PCB.

-Rian Sanderson