NEC-LIST: GPS Antenna Simulation

From: John Thompson <jthompson_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:51:42 -0400

I use NEC-Win Pro for my antenna simulations which might amount to only
one or two per year. I want to be able to simulate a typical GPS patch
antenna and then place it in a variety of ground plane scenarios. I
would like to study the effects that various metal geometries in close
proximity to the antenna have on the GPS gain and patterns. I am not
trying to design a GPS antenna; I just want to know how to deploy one
most successfully. The key is getting a good model of the GPS antenna.
This would include the RHCP patch over the ground plane with a high
dielectric constant material between the patch and the ground plane
(your typical patch antenna geometry). Does anyone have any suggestions
or recommendations as to how best to do this, especially the modeling of
the dielectric material between the patch and the ground plane?

John N. Thompson