NEC-LIST: Question on attaching a TL to a segment with a LD

From: Cox Roger (Telex/LIO) <Roger.Cox_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:28:33 -0500

The NEC4 manual says (under the TL description) "If a transmission line
is connected to a segment which also has an impedance load (LD command)
the load is on the wire in series with the transmission line
connection(s)."

My question concerns the proper method of attaching a resistive or
inductive shunt load to an LPDA termination stub. In the past, I have
defined a very short, 3 segment wire at a distance behind the rear
element of the LPDA, and connected the center of this wire to the center
of the rear element with a TL. To create a short, open or other load at
the end of this TL, I defined the shunt admittance across the end of the
TL. This seems to work OK.

Instead of defining the load on the TL card, could I use the LD4 command
on the center segment of the very short wire? Is the LD load in series
between the TL and the center segment of the wire or in series between
the TL and the end segments of the wire? My models seem to indicate
that the LD load is in series between the TL and the end segments of the
wire. If this is correct, then I would still need to define the shunt
load in the TL command.

Roger Cox WB0DGF

Senior Antenna Design Engineer

Bosch Communications Systems