NEC-LIST: Re: Conical spiral: impedance convergency - current distribution

From: Alexander Witte <awitte_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:53:19 -0500

In another effort to investigate the quoted matter,
I can inform that I have tested the model against
data from an article [1,p. 638, Fig. 8] which deals
with the current distribution along an arm of
the conical spiral. I have simulated different
segmentation ratios, but there is still
no convergence in the pattern. However,
at ratios around 0.05, consistency with the
data from the article is apparent.
I would be glad to get comments on this issue.

The calculated graph is available on my personal page
http://www.e.kth.se/~awitte/segm.png

as well as the input file for the highest segmentation ratio
http://www.e.kth.se/~awitte/segm.nec

The current on one arm of the conical spiral
is plotted against the distance from the feed in wavelengths.
The different ratios are the maximum segment length in ratio
to the wavelength.

[1] Y.S. Yeh and K. K. Mei, "Theory of conical equiangular-spiral antennas.
Part I -- Numerical technique" IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation,
vol. AP-15 no.5, pp 634-639, Septermber 1967.

Best regards,
Alexander Witte

Electromagnetic Engineering
Royal Institute of Technology