NEC-LIST: short towers near tall trees

From: <GrantBingeman_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:53:18 -0400

I was wondering if anybody knows of any studies of the absorption of RF by
trees within the near-field of electrically short towers operating at the high
end of the AM broadcast band, for example, a 75 foot tower on 1610 kHz less
than 50 feet from a 100 foot tall tree-line. Would this impair signal intensity
at 10 miles, say.

A recent question I could not immediately answer, in a similar vein, is "Can
a tree close to a short antenna act as a lossy parasitic element, thus causing
a directional radiation pattern?" Does anybody have any experience or
insight with this type of behavior? Thanks. g

p.s: I am familiar with the Viet Nam studies of RF propagation in the jungle.

Grant W. Bingeman, P.E.