NEC-LIST: Increasing the capacity of NEC4

From: Phil Ede <phil.ede_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:46:51 -0400

Dear Friends

Further to a previous posting on the subject, I am using the Intel Fortran
Compiler, version 11.1, downloaded and installed together with the Visual
2008 Shell, so it is good for producing x64 executables. I am running an i7
processor with 12 GB RAM

However I have run into two problems

1) I get a compiler compiler error 7938 due to argument mismatching, so I
have set the compiler option "Check Routine Interfaces" set to "no" which
compiles and runs the code. However this does not solve the problem, which
may be related to the risk of memory fragmentation, which is spelled out
here:
ref
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/03/31/doctor-fortran-in-ive-come-here-for-an-argument/

2) If I configure the code to exceed about 1GB, (121,000, 000 real*8
numbers) I am getting a fatal error LNK1248: image size exceeds maximum
allowable size (80000000). I now learn that there is a limit of 2GB placed
on static memory, which is spelled out here:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/memory-limits-applications-windows/

The only way of accessing my upper free 9.8 GB of RAM is to undertake some
heavy coding changes so that the argument shapes are matched, and/or memory
is assigned using ALLOCATE (with an upper limit of 8TB).

I would be most grateful t hear from ayone who has overcome these
limitations and found a way to run large NEC models in more than 2GB of
core memory.

Phil Ede
Memory is cheap and life is short.