Re: Standards for ground measurement

From: William A. Vail <wvail_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 1995 07:36:29 -0500 (EST)

There are several methods for determining ground constants (conductivity
and permeativity) for use in modeling antenna performance. Among these
are measuring the tilt angle of the propogating ground wave and relating
it to ground constants using the curves on page 697 of Terman's
Radio Engineers Handbook, McGraw Hill 1943. A second method developed by
George Hagn at SRI (Washington Office) uses an open wire transmission line
probe. A third method is to measure field strength vs distance from a
simple monopole radiator and compare the curve to the calculated values
using Norton's equations.

Hope this helps,

Bill Vail
WAVE Associates, Inc.