Standards for ground measurement

From: Gary McDuffie, Sr. <mcduffie_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 1995 01:43:56 GMT

Please excuse if this has been recently discussed, but I am very new (just
now) to the list. Someone suggested this might be the place to post this
question.

In various places, I see maps giving very general ground conductivity
estimates. In checking with my local power company, I've found out how they
test grounds. Their desire is to test an existing electrical ground at a
given location. Therefore, their tests are done between three points. One
point is the site electrical ground rod(s). The other two points are provided
by them. Two 4 foot rods are driven into the ground 75 feet either side of
the site ground being measured. The two 4 foot rods are tied in parallel to
one side of a megger. The other side of the megger goes to the existing
ground. The resistance is checked at 500vdc. I understand how to convert
this to Siemens/meter, but I wonder about the method of testing for MY
purposes (antenna modeling).

Is there a more standardized method of testing ground conductivity? For my
own purposes, I would think that driving the two rods into the ground and
measuring between them would be more useful. If so, how much rod, how far
apart, and at what voltage should the test be run? I'm also assuming this
should be done in a couple of places in the desired area, in order to be more
accurate.

Any help with the above would be appreciated. Thank you!

Gary McDuffie, Sr.
Scottsbluff, NE
mcduffie_at_hannibal.wncc.cc.ne.us