Re: Wind Turbines

From: <dchatterjee_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 10:28:36 -0600 (CST)

  Mark:

  The upper frequency at which you are operating, should be adequate
  to model the Wind Turbines using NEC-BSC2. The lower frequency is
  OK, but I am not sure about this one. There is no theoretical limit
  to the lower cutoff frequency, because it depends on the formulations.

  The blades maybe modeled via flat plates (4-sided), and the tower
  by a cylinder; the fatter the cylinders are (ka large) the better.

  In modeling it is important that one considers effects of the rotation
  of the blades. That is, consider one position of the blades - do the
  computation. Next consider another position and do the next computation
  and so on. Keep the source/ observer positions same in these runs.

  Now, plot the patterns and see if there is any difference between the
  successive blade positions. If, yes then there is pattern modulation
  due to movement.

  Something similar was probably reported in some AGARD reports concerning
  helicopter antennas.

  Probably someone else can help.
  Deb Chatterjee

  Graduate Research Assistant
  Radar Systems and Remote Sensing Laboratory
  Room 322, Nichols Hall
  2291 Irving Hill Road
  Lawrence, KS 66045-2969

  tel: (913)864-7742
  fax: (913)864-7789
  e-mail: dchatterjee_at_kuhub.cc.ukans.edu