CROSS-POLAR ANTENNAS.

From: <MICHEL.SPELIER_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:41:20 +0200

Hi everyone,
some questions here from a cold but sunny Belgium.
We are investigating the use of cross-polar or ortho-polarized antennas for
use in our cellular network
in distinct environments. (urban-multipath)
We obtained a sample here with +45 / -45 degrees of polarisation in one
package with roughly 15dBd,
in the E- and H-plane. This gain figure has still to be confirmed.
The antenna has two connectors at the bottom. This antenna type certainly
looks promising.

1) If equal power is applied to to both ports, through a power splitter,
without actually knowing at
the correct phasing between both ports, will the antenna keep its predicted
radiation pattern or will it stear?
The manufacturer is not supplying this information, which should be known
before attempting circular polarisation

2) What will the polarisation in the above-mentioned situation be?

3) How can you measure the phase shift between every antenna port at its
connector,
without breaking up the protective cover?

4) I have AO6.0 and Nec/wires but I have yet to experiment with the different
source amplitudes.

I am looking for advice from people, who have explored this domain more
deeply, eventually references to reading material, or people who can supply
practical information upon the use of polarisations different from the common
Vertical.
Thanks in advance,
Michel Spelier
ON7EH