Request for input to ACES CEM Software Sourcebook

From: Ed Miller <emiller_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 06:53:37 -0700

Hello,

As a member of the Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES), I
have accepted responsibility for completing the CEM (Computational
ElectroMagnetics) Software Sourcebook (CEMSS). I am therefore contacting
people/organizations who may have software packages that they are
distributing themselves, or who know of other available packages, that they
they think should be included in the CEMSS.

Since nec-list obviously includes many people using CEM software, I am
taking this opportunity of using it to broadcast this message.

In order to ensure some uniformity and consistency in our listings, we are
asking everyone if they would please provide specific information in
respone to our questions for input. That way, we ensure that we're not
interpreting and adapting what they've sent us, possibly incorrectly. We
would expect that that information would require from 2-4 pages. We are
suggesting in addition that the software description could have an
additional 2-4 pages that comprises whatever supplementary information the
sender would like to include. So, we'd appreciate having a final software
description that follows this general outline. Please note that each
separate package from one organization can be handled in the same way.

I look forward to hearing from many of you.

Best wishes,

Ed Miller

                       THE ACES CEM SOFTWARE SOURCEBOOK

One of the original motivations for forming ACES and a signifcant
continuing benefit to its members is providing information about and access
to computational electromagnetics (CEM) software. An effort has been
underway for the past two years to collect and compile information about
available modeling and related CEM software in a "Software Sourcebook"
(the CEMSS). The CEMSS, if sufficiently comprehensive, would be an
invaluable resource for newcomers and long-time workers alike.

This questionnaire is an invitation to contribute information about
software that you think should be included in the CEMSS. This can be: (1)
software that you have personally developed and are now distributing or are
willing to make available for general distribution; or (2) software from
other sources that you recommend be included. Please note that we would
like to cover the spectrum of software from freeware and shareware to
commercial packages, including software that may have limited distribution.
If the code is of type (1), please include the following information as a
minimum, preferably in the order listed:

        Name of code and organization owning/developing it
        Author
        Category (e.g., modeling, user interface, numerical-analysis
                algorithms, etc.)
        Purpose
        Language
        Computers on which code runs
        Availability/contact (cost, address, phone & FAX number, e-mail address)
        Description
        Limitations and approximations
        Representative geometries/problems
        Storage and timing/operation count for representative geometries
        Extent/kinds of validation
        Additional information