Re: Helical Antennas

From: Neil Fox <builder_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 07:56:05 -0400 (EDT)

My masters thesis was a study of helical antennas, and the building of a
prototype helical array (hooray for me ...). I found that NEC was 100%
unreliable for helical antennas in both the so-called axial and normal
modes. It has to do with the fact that the helical antenna acts as a
waveguide structure that does not lend itself to NEC-like modeling. Kraus
and some others tried to characterize helical antenna gain using NEC-like
methods (actually closed form solutions), resulting in gross
overestimates. Some really good work was done by Aerospace Corp (King and
Wong) in the 1970's (?).