NEC Manual

From: Mark Gaponoff <gaponoff_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 12:41:16 -0800

In regards to using Word as a documentation format...

  I would recommend saving and distributing WORD-based
documents in RTF (Rich Text Format, or Interchange Format).
This would help with 2 problems:

  1) Version incompatibilities within Word. Older versions
of Word cannot read files saved normally from newer versions.
(Microsoft wants to make sure you buy upgrades!) Using RTF
format, older versions of Word can make sense of most of a
document, even if there are a few newer features not supported.
Since the NEC documents are mostly just text, this should
present no problems.

  2) Compatibility with other word processors. Other popular
word processors often support RTF, including WordPerfect.

  As a bonus, RTF files themselves are all printable ASCII
characters, so one can even email them to 7-bit folks...

  I've fought this battle (inter-site/inter-machine document
passing) a few times, and RTF helps avoid headaches.

--Mark

-- Mark Gaponoff (gaponoff_at_macconnect.com) 73's de KJ7EM.
  "Life has meaning, but a poor signal-to-noise ratio."
-- Ann Gaponoff (gaponoff_at_macconnect.com)
  "Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes."