NEC Manual, Word vs. html

From: Brian McMinn <brian.mcminn_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 11:00:23 -0600 (CST)

We've experimented with a lot of on-line documentation at my work and
our conclussion is that there is no perfect solution. The best
"workable" solution that we found was to use handwritten HTML to knit
the whole system together and to allow each individual document to be
edited in whatever format the "owner" of that document chose.

In the case of Word documents, the Windows 95 and NT versions of Word
have some VERY nice conversion utilities that convert Word directly to
HTML. Because of the poor image quality, we typically have both the
HTML versions (because it loads very fast and is easy to search and
contains links) and the .pdf formats on-line. No one opens the .pdf
files unless they really need a picture and the HTML version is so
accessible that documentation is rarely actually printed. (Note that
our pictures are line drawings and we never need ugly formula, so
there's a potential difference between our docs and that for NEC).

I'd love to see more accessible documentation, 'cause I'm having
trouble getting started with it - NEC seems very picky about how you
supply a feedpoint!

   Brian McMinn