Re: NEC Web User Manual

From: Robert Haviland <bobh_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 19:52:18 -0500 (EST)

Let me try further.

I personally do no like to see material gor general circulation encoded in
a paticular (proprietary) format. The material should be in the most basic
standard form. For text files, this is ASCII, and is usually indicated by
the .txt suffix, sometimes with .doc suffix.

I have never encountered a word processor, file reader, notepad, etc which
cannot import and read such files. And most can export them also, if only
by the indirection >LPT1 command.

There is another reason for staying with ASCII. A long file is often
compressed for internet transmision. uudecode isnt always happy with the
upper half of the alphabet when uudecode is used. I don't know why- it
should not give trouble, but I have had time-consuming experience.

Thanks R. P. HAviland