Re: NEC-LIST: Equivalent diameter

From: Robert Haviland <bobh_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:58:07 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997 w7el_at_teleport.com wrote:

> Does anyone know how to calculate an equivalent round diameter of square or
> rectangular cross-section conductors for use in NEC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roy Lewallen

As the TV shows say, Good Question. I've never seen an exact analysis of
the problem. Some approaches:
-use the equivalent area.
-Schelkunoff's aproach suggests calculating the characteristic impedance
for the largest and smallest conditions, and taking the geometric mean.
for a flat strip, this would be the width for one value and the thickness
for the other.
A good approximation should be possible by calculating the inductance and
capacitance per unit length, and using a diameter which gives the same LC
product.

Perhaps someone will use this for his/her research project.
Bob W4MB