Re: NEC-LIST: Larger version, interested?

From: PROF DC BAKER X2775 - ELEKTRONIES - JGS 4-10 <BAKE-DC_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon May 5 11:21:42 1997

Good day folks.

Jozef Bergervoet wanted to know whether anyone was interested in a series
of NEC2 exec files for different size problems??

Would it not possibly make more sense to have the source codes for the
subroutines in which the dimensions are set listed with clear instructions
as regards compilation?? For example, it is my understanding that MS
Fortran 5.1 is still only 16 bit (I must immediately confess my ignorance
on the desirability of compiling under Windows, OS2 or UNIX in order to
exploit larger memory addressing than DOS allows).

In this case the person needing to solve larger problems could recompile,
link and execute after tailoring the code for his/her needs??

Jerry Burke did once supply a list of required changes to increase the
size of arrays.

Have a great day regardless, Duncan Baker.

> From: bergervo_at_natlab.research.philips.com
> Subject: NEC-LIST: Larger version, interested?
> To: nec-list_at_ee.ubc.ca
> Date sent: Fri, 2 May 1997 15:24:11 +0200 (METDST)

> Dear Nec users,
>
> Some time ago, I put some PC-compiled versions of Nec2d for different memory
> sizes on the net (up to 32MB.) From time to time I get requests like:
>

> > How can I modify Nec81 or Nec2d1k4 to make a version that runs with 2800
> > segments.
> >

> It seems that with the growth of PC memory, we would need some larger
> versions than the ones currently on the net. The sequence would then
> become:
> .
> .
> Nec2d.exe for use with 1.5MB memory, up to 256 segments
> Nec2d512.exe for 5 MB
> Nec2d960.exe for 16 MB
> Nec2d1k4.exe for 32MB
> Nec2d1k9.exe for 64 MB
> Nec2d2k8.exe for 128MB
> Nec2d3k9.exe for 256MB, c. 3950 segments
> .
> .
> But the problem is these are pretty large files, and they have only
> minor differences. It would be possible, although a bit strange, to
> put them all on the net.
>
> Is anyone else interested?
>
> (Jos)
> ----------
> Jozef R. Bergervoet Electromagnetism and EMC
> Philips Research Laboratories, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
> E-mail: bergervo_at_natlab.research.philips.com Phone: +31-40-742403

PROF. DUNCAN C. BAKER, DEPT. OF ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING,
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA, PRETORIA, 0002, SOUTH AFRICA.

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF, ACES JOURNAL.

PHONE +27 12 420 2775 (OFFICE), +27 12 47 7480 (HOME)
FAX +27 12 43 3254 (OFFICE), +27 12 348 5314 (HOME)
E-MAIL: DUNCAN.BAKER_at_EE.UP.AC.ZA (PREFERRED ADDRESS)
        d.baker_at_ieee.org (IEEE alias address)
LOCAL STANDARD TIME = UT+2 HOURS