NEC-LIST: EMC/EMI and Numerical Techniques

From: Dave Michelson <davem_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 16:15:44 +0000

Dear Sir/Madam

We are writing on behalf of, EM Software & Systems, a South African
company specializing in ElectroMagnetics and would appreciate some
feedback on the following.

Back Ground Information:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are interested in modelling antennas on large structures. Our
particular interest at the moment is the modelling of antennas from an
Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) point of view. We will soon work
together with the University of Stellenbosch (with EMSS partially
sponsoring a PhD student) on this specific topic. Our intention is to
do both measurements (on scale models) and numerical simulations using
various techniques. A typical application would be antenna placement
on the mast of a ship. The following antennas would be considered:
Discones (V/UHF), Dipole array (UHF), Monopole antennas (VHF and HF).
High frequency antennas, such as reflector antennas, would also be
considered where possible.

Codes and Techniques used by EMSS at the moment:
1) Method of Moments MoM (NEC) (The limitation of the MoM technique
for large (in wavelength) structures is well known)
2) Hybrid Physical Optics/MoM code (FEKO) (this code was developed at
the Univ of Stuttgart and is distributed by EMSS.) The code has
recently been extended to include the Uniform Theory of Diffraction
(UTD).

The following feedback would be appreciated:
1) References (articles, reports, books etc.)
2) Communication (by email with me)
3) Commercial codes available

NB: We would appreciate it if this can be forwarded to somebody whom
you believe could be of assistance.

Thank you. Your time and assistance is appreciated.

Gronum Smith and Frans Meyer

EM Software & Systems
Technopark, Stellenbosch, 7600, South Africa
PO. Box 1354, Stellenbosch, 7599, South Africa
Tel/Fax: +27 21 8801880
Email: agsmith_at_emss.co.za, fjcmeyer_at_emss.co.za
WWW: http://www.emss.co.za

EM Software & Systems http://www.emss.co.za
PHYSICAL ADDRESS: POSTAL ADDRESS:
Innovation Center, Technopark P.O. Box 1354
Stellenbosch Stellenbosch, 7599
South Africa South Africa
TEL: +27 21-8801880
FAX: +27 21-8801880 / 8801727