NEC-LIST: Modelling GP Antenna Arrays

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:32:34 -0400

Hello,

Yes certainly you can use MININEC (I have used the ELNEC version) to model
vertical GP type antennas --- monopoles or half-loops --- but click the
real ground option, otherwise you will calculate unrealistic gains.
MININEC is sort of equivalent to a GP antenna over a very good ground
system (infinite number of radials), with real ground in front of the
antenna. The far field pattern is calculated by Fresnel reflections.

One can use NEC-2 (I use EZNEC pro) to more realistically model monopole
arrays, all tower driven or one tower driven and others parasitically
excited, by using, as I have said before *resonant* radials. For 3.75 MHz
I use radials at a height of 1 metre, For other frequencies simply scale
in accord with frequency.

Use NEC-2 to establish the resonant length of the radial wire. Take a
dipole antenna and place it at the height you want to place the radials.
Vary its length to achieve *exact* resonance for the reference ground
parameters. The half length of the dipole is the resonant radial length.

Use 4-radials for each monopole. Rotate the radials so that the radials
connected to adjacent monopoles are separated symmetrically by as much as
possible. If you run two radial parallel with each other you end by
cancelling current on those radials --- so you might as well not have
them!!! If you have a unidirectional array, radials (2- or 3-radials)
arranged in a crow foot way, pointing in the direction of fire will do the
trick. Here we are "simulating" ground connection. But real antennas can
be built that way.

73, Jack, VE2CV