Re: NEC-LIST: Using NEC to Model Coax Cable

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:14:33 -0400

Keith Lysiak wrote:
>I am looking for information from anyone that has explicitly
>modeled coax cable (air dielectric) successfully. I am looking for
>suggestions for modeling in order to get good impedance match.

Although I haven't done it myself, I read somewhere how to do it:

    1. use a single wire to model the outside (shield) conductor of
       the coax; and,

    2. connect an ideal-transmission-line (two-port, four-wire
       connection) to the places where the ends of the coax connect.

The single-wire conductor couples to the fields in NEC. The
ideal-transmission-line model is invisible to the fields; it affects
only the voltages & currents at its ends.