Re: NEC-LIST: TIREM propagation code?

From: Dave Michelson <davem_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 18:58:33 -0800 (PST)

Prof Duncan Baker wrote:

> Hi Dave.
>
> There is a write-up "New 2D Physical EM Propagation Model Selected"
> by HR Anderson in the IEEE vehicular Technology Society News, August
> 1997, p. 15. The essence is that the Anderson 2D model is
> recommened. Can be extended to 3D. Other contender appears to be
> Hata/Davidson (I trust I have this correct).
>
> Dr. Harry Anderson's e-mail address is given as hra_at_edx.com I had no
> response to an earlier e-mail (suspect problems with servers my end
> and that the message never got to him). I would certainly be most
> interested to hear about any availability of this particular model,
> and more details as regards the formatting of the DTM data base etc.

Thanks for the passing that on. Much appreciated!

I found a copy of a report entitled

  "A Report on Technology Independent Methodology for the Modeling,
   Simulation, and Empirical Verification of Wireless Communications
   System Performance in Noise and Interference Limited Systems Operating
   on Frequencies between 30 and 1500 MHz"

(in pdf format), dated 20 May 1997, at the IEEE Vehicular Technology
Society website,

            http://www.ieee.org/society/vts/index.html .

(However, the VTS web page notes that "Significant changes have been
made to the Report since the linked version was published" and
suggests that one contact the TIA or Global Engineering Documents
regarding availability of TSB-77.)

The propagation committee of the IEEE VTS made major contributions to
Section 5 (pages 28-53), entitled "Electromagnetic Wave Propagation
Prediction Standard Model," which describes:

* The Okumura model, including the Hata conversion and the Davidson
  extension (Hata is valid over a more limited range of parameters
  than Okumura. Davidson corrects this.) (FORTRAN code provided.)

* The Anderson 2D propagation model (which accounts for LOS mode using
  basic two-ray theory with constraints, non LOS mode using multiple
  wedge diffraction, and local clutter attenuation) (equations but no
  code.)

* The Anderson 3D propagation methods for time dispersion and
  multipath predictions (no equations or code :(

* Standard values for local clutter loss attenuation

* Issues concerning terrain elevation databases including (1) types of
  USGS data products available for the US and (2) methods for
  establishing terrain elevation points along a profile using the
  terrain database

* Recommendations concerning tiled vs. radial metaphors

* Recommendations concerning reliability prediction

* Recommended methods for interference calculations

The TIA report doesn't mention much about EC efforts in this area
(e.g, COST 207 and COST 231) and only briefly mentions more
sophisticated approaches such as the Integral Equation and Parabolic
equation methods. It certainly doesn't cover more advanced topics of
interest to researchers. However, it's a useful compilation of
material not usually found in one place.

Although it's a bit dated now, the IEEE VTS "Special Issue on Coverage
Prediction for Mobile Radio Systems Operating in the 800/900 MHz
Frequency Range" (IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., vol. 37, no. 1, Feb. 1988,
pp. 1-72) fills in some of the gaps in the TIA report. (And is
certainly useful from a historical perspective.) For the rest, I guess
one has to consult the usual journals and conference proceedings.

--
Dave Michelson                                  AT&T Wireless Services
davem_at_ee.ubc.ca                               Strategic Technology Group