Re: NEC-LIST remarks on folded monopoles for MW

From: Hal Smith <halsmith_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 19:27:35 -0500

Sylvio Damiani wrote:

> I'm a brazilian consultant and field engineer for broadcast
> transmition. I have been dealing with folded unipoles for at least
> three years and I have to disagree with Hal Smith about the
> performance of this MW antenna.
>
> Every folded unipole I worked with (no exception) performed
> surprisingly well! It presents an extremely good coverage and mostly
> important, the reception signal seems to be smooth in the entire
> coverage area, I mean there are no fail of signal between high
> downtown buildings for example, as is very common in large cities of
> this country like Sao Paulo and Rio.
>
> It seems to me that the great difference is the way I'm doing the
> folded unipoles.... [detailed description deleted]

Dear Sylvio,

I concur, the way RAI and you are doing Unipoles is very different
than what I'm seeing here. I'm dealing with buried radials (in unknown
condition) and very small towers with usually a three wire cage.
Apparently the losses get very large under these conditions. Lossy
ground and radiators are difficult to model!

Sincerely,

Hal Smith