Re: NEC-LIST: Elevated Radials

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 09:31:27 -0400

Merv,

I have a paper on the subject of elevated radials (computed using
NEC-4D) in which I compare computed vs. measurement [1], for a ND
monopole; and a 2-tower directional array. In my view I found good
agreement.

I have hopes to participate in an experiment in NZ, later this year,
where we will compare performance of a 55 metre tower, 1494 kHz, using
six elevated radials; comared with (at a later date when the
installation is complete) 120 radials 0.4 w long, buried 0.2 m.

I have computed performance of MF ND antennas using NEC-4D for
monopoles using 120 0.25 w radials,and I get agreement with proof of
performance reports.

But for the skeptic, and there are skeptics, what we want is a direct
comparison (elevated vs. conventional ground systems), for an antenna
at the same site.

Jack, VE2CV

Reference

1) J.S. Belrose, "Elevated Radial Wire Systems for Vertically
Polarized Ground-Plane Type Antennas - Part 2 -- Phased Arrays",
Communications Quarterly, Spring 1998, pp. 45-61.

>Has anyone looked at 4 elevated radials versus 120 on the ground with
>NEC4? I believe all the work I have seen published has used NEC2 or
>NEC2 based products. If you have NEC4 data I would like to see it;
>and I am curious about not only the gain numbers but the maximum
>elevation angle as well.
>
>Regards, Merv

John S. (Jack) Belrose, PhD Cantab, VE2CV
Senior Radioscientist
Radio Sciences Branch
Communications Research Centre
PO Box 11490 Stn. H