Re: NEC-LIST: NEC-BSC status and availability

From: Ronald J. Marhefka <rjm_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:20:13 -0400

Dave,

We support SGI for the NEC-BSC and we can get a Linux version. We are
extensively using Linux at our lab. We have not gotten requests for
it yet.

In terms of the GUI (NEC-BSC Workbench) we only have a Windows
version, since graphics is still machine dependent. As a developer
with limited resources, we had to pick one operating system to support
the graphics and since 80% of the market is Windows, so be it.

You are confusing operating systems with applications in your
philosophic statement. There are far more applications for Windows
that Linux. Operating systems are facilitators not an end in its own
right.

Our decision to not send out source code is not just OSU's but a
condition of taking off export controls from our sponsors (remember
only V3 is de-export controlled not higher versions.) The reasons are
simple. Some user's have abused the privilege of getting source code
in the past, by modifying it incorrectly and blaming the original
developers and government sponsors, made small changes and reselling
it without giving proper references, on and on. Unfortunately, it
just takes a few to effect all users. Such it life. No more source
code.

Ron Marhefka