Re: NEC-LIST: NEC-BSC status and availability

From: Dave Michelson <davem_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:20:10 -0700 (PDT)

Ronald J. Marhefka wrote:

> Dave,
>
> We support SGI for the NEC-BSC and we can get a Linux version. We
> are extensively using Linux at our lab. We have not gotten requests
> for it yet.

I'm glad to hear that. May I suggest you advertise the availability
of Linux and SGI versions of the code on the OSU-ESL web page?

When you do, you should inform the maintainers of the Scientific
Applications on Linux website, http://sal.kachinatech.com.

With over *2000* entries, it has the most comprehensive list of both
GPL'd and proprietary scientific and engineering software for Linux
available anywhere. You'll note that MATLAB, Mathematica, Maple, IDL,
ENVI, and other major proprietary packages have all been ported to
Linux during the last few years. Several MS Office-compatible office
suites are also available for Linux (e.g., Applixware, Star Office).

> In terms of the GUI (NEC-BSC Workbench) we only have a Windows
> version, since graphics is still machine dependent. As a developer
> with limited resources, we had to pick one operating system to
> support the graphics and since 80% of the market is Windows, so be
> it.

Actually, I'm aware of several libraries that allow one to compile
Windows and UNIX versions of a program from the same source code. If
you would like to hear more about them at some point, please let me
know.

> You are confusing operating systems with applications in your
> philosophic statement. There are far more applications for Windows
> that Linux.

Once again, please check out the Scientific Applications on Linux
website, http://sal.kachinatech.com. If you haven't already, you
might be surprised at the broad support for Linux in the science and
engineering communities.

> Operating systems are facilitators not an end in its own right.

No, but even Microsoft acknowledges that the UNIX programming
environment has a special appeal for software developers. (See:
http://www.microsoft.com/unix/ie/ "Getting UNIX Out the Microsoft
Door") And, most of us in computational electromagnetics are software
developers to one degree or another.

Please. The intention of my original post was not to belittle those
who choose to work in a Windows environment. It was to point out that
many high-end users, including many CEM users and developers
(including, you admit, yourselves!), use Linux extensively. And to
request that Linux not be forgotten when it comes time to release code
and executables. I could also add that Linux offers the most
efficient path for porting UNIX software from high-end workstations to
low-cost PC's. But I know that you're already quite aware of that.

> Our decision to not send out source code is not just OSU's but a
> condition of taking off export controls from our sponsors (remember
> only V3 is de-export controlled not higher versions.) The reasons
> are simple. Some user's have abused the privilege of getting source
> code in the past, by modifying it incorrectly and blaming the
> original developers and government sponsors, made small changes and
> reselling it without giving proper references, on and on.
> Unfortunately, it just takes a few to effect all users. Such it
> life. No more source code.

I'm sorry to hear that. However, I'm happy to hear that the export
controls matter was resolved.

--
Dave Michelson
davem@ee.ubc.ca                http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/davem/