Re: NEC-LIST: NEC for the Mac?

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:33:26 -0500

Doug Dornbos <Dornbos_at_aol.com> wrote:
>I have . . . downloaded 2 different
>NEC programs to use on my Macintosh believing that these would allow
>me to see radiation patterns. Here is my experience at using these:
>
>#1 MacMININEC4.4 DEMO. To get familiar with this stuff, I have tried
>to model a 1/2-wave dipole. It worked fine, showed an impedance of
>close to 70 ohms and showed a figure-8 radiation pattern . This is
>the total good experience I've had with this. I have gotten no other
>antenna to show even close to what its impedance should be or what
>its radiation pattern should be. (For instance, the yagi included as
>a demo antenna shows a perfect figure-8 radiation pattern). What am I
>doing wrong here? (The author of the program does not write back to
>me even though I mentioned that if this program does what I want, I
>will buy the full version (shareware).
>
>#2 NEC2.68K(SANE) I downloaded this from the NEC archives web site and
>cannot get it to do anything. I think I am making an error of the
>most basic kind. I drag and drop one of the sample files onto the
>application icon but never get anything that resembles antenna data or
>a request for any antenna data. What am I missing here?

I'm unfamiliar with those two Mac app's but have few suggestions to
offer.

1. With NEC2.68K(SANE), try opening the app. directly, by
double-clicking its icon. With luck you'll then be prompted to type
the input filename. IIRC, this is how Jerry (Gerry?) Burke's Mac
compilations work.

2. Read the NEC2 User's Manual, which I believe is on one of the
unofficial NEC websites. If it's not, ask me and I'll e-mail you my
old MS Word v.5.1a version of this manual.

3. For a very reasonable price you can get NEC2 source and compiled,
executable applications for 68K and PPC Macs from Jerry Burke
<burke2_at_llnl.gov>. For a higher but still reasonable, price you can
get NEC4, within the USA. I've used, and highly recommend, both.

-Chuck.