Re: NEC-LIST: CFA in short

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 21:47:09 -0500

I butted into an exchange between Paulmoody_at_onaustralia.com.au and Chip
<Fractenna_at_aol.com> to say:
> A small loop may be regarded as a magnetic dipole but differs
> strongly from a so-called "folded dipole" in that current flows in
> the same direction (e.g., clockwise) all the way around a small
> loop, whereas in a folded dipole there are current nodes at both
> ends, and in between the current flow in the parallel conductors is
> in the parallel sense, e.g., left to right in both wires, meaning
> clockwise in one wire and counterclockwise in the other.
>
>-Chuck W1HIS

...which prompted john.belrose_at_crc.ca (John Belrose) to warn:
> Be careful Chuck....
> For small loops (the topic of current discussion) I could say also
> it depends on "how you tune it". Electrically samll loops are tuned
> by a capacitor, but what is not generally known, is that the current
> distribution, and so the pattern for vertical loops close to the
> ground depends on whether this tuning capacitor is located at the
> feed point, or on the side remote from the feed point....

You are absolutely right, John, and -- believe it or not -- I've known
that for a long time. It was late night (or very early morning) when
I posted that, and my brain had gone off duty. Thanks for waking me
up. -C.