Re: NEC-LIST: RFI/EMI Policies at Universities and Research Labs?

From: Hal Smith <halsmith_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 22:22:29 -0600

> Barry L. Ornitz wrote:
> >
> > This is a round-about solution but if the commercial concerns need
> > the campus area so badly, let them pay for several shielded rooms on
> > campus.
>
> As you suggest, it's expensive and a hassle. At this point, the
> university administration simply wants to define a policy regarding
> commercial transmitters that both sides will accept. I'm hoping
> that list members might be able to supply me with any policies or
> recommendations that their own organizations have formulated
> concerning acceptable limits on RFI/EMI in research environments or
> campus policies regarding siting of commercial transmitters.
>
> --
> Dave Michelson
> dmichelson_at_home.com

Why not include a requirement for antenna modelling/patterning? The
idea would be to first identify RF sensitive locations and then select
antenna lease locations where high gain, well described antennas would
be at locations chosen so that the radiated energy is not directed at
critical areas. Omni antennas obviously would have to be located
physically high relative to critical areas. Beam antennas like
paraboloids and yagis would be less restricted in location.

I agree with using screen rooms, there are some very economical
designs which the EMC community has come up with. My favorite is using
air conditioning duct board (@1" rigid fiberglass insulation with an
thick aluminium foil on one side) to build a room. One clever EMC
engineer solved the door problem by realizing a plug made of of duct
board with foil wrapped around the sides makes an excellent entrance
port, it's light and if you bash it, another is easy to make!

--
Hal Smith
AM/FM Services Company