Re: NEC-LIST: RFI/EMI Policies at Universities and Research Labs?

From: Alexandre Kampouris <ak_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 00:48:36 -0500

At 08:47 03.03.99 -0500, Bob Dixon wrote:

>One thing that happened here is related to this issue. Our EE
>department does research in advanced high-voltage power systems. They
>were planning to build a lab to create artificial lightning for
>testing of insulators etc.

This example gives: would renting space for antennas give a right for
operators to dictate and approve what experiments can be conducted on
university premises, on the basis that their rental fee creates a
contractual obligation regarding the protection of their equipment? I
can think of a few examples, which aren't too farfetched:

1) HIGH power work using ISM frequencies, including around 915MHz and
   2.45 GHz. (eg: microwave industrial heating). The signals might
   couple into the victim system as IMD.
2) Particle accelerators (TRIUMF?)
3) Physics experiments
4) Research work in communications lab. (Ex: propagation studies,
   wideband work)

Renting space out to a third party might make it more difficult to let
proper government authorities sort out incompatibilies, and tempt the
operator into litigation in vertue of the contract. Court cases
regarding interference between land mobile operators and not unheard
of...

> Bob Dixon
> Ohio State University

Er, isn't OSU the place whose bean counters took some fateful decision
regarding Big Ear II? :-| I guess this was the most profitable policy
for the university.

Alexandre