Re: NEC-LIST: More on the CFA

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:47:44 -0400

> Jack, I spoke with Kabbary, Stewart and Ron Nott Sunday night in
> Vegas, on a mission to see if there were some way to resolve the NEC
> results with their claims. Brian says that NEC could model the CFA
> correctly if all the small current elements in the array were
> replaced with voltage elements. He even stated that he would be
> willing to write a version of NEC2 that was based on voltage
> elements instead of current elements. He implied that it would be a
> quick and easy project.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> I suggested that if a working one kilowatt CFA operating on 1610 kHz
> with an experimental permit from the FCC were available in the USA
> for open evaluation by any antenna consultant or academic with a
> field intensity meter, then his CFA might begin to gain some
> acceptance. Kabbary invites anybody who is interested to visit the
> CFA sites in Egypt, but this is a bit inconvenient for most of us;
> besides these stations are operating with programming most of the
> time, and not readily available to go off the air for any
> significant length of time. I certainly would not want to travel
> there only to be told that is was not a good time for a visitor to
> stick his operating impedance bridge in circuit, etc.
>
> Grant Bingeman

Grant,

Concerning NEC and voltage sources, I have already done this. For
EZNEC one can choose Voltage or Current sources, and for some
antennas, e.g. the off-centre fed dipole, particularly if the
transmission line is a part of the wire model, this makes an important
difference.

For the CFA antenna the FS at 200 m employing Voltage Sources is 159
mV/m (Pt = 1000 watts), compared with 156 mV/m --- but there is a
curious (interesting) difference.

With Voltage feed I have to reverse the sign of the phase of the
Sources, +45-degrees and -45-degrees, I think I noted this before, for
the very short monopole and the disk respectively (the phases are now
like that reported by Hately et.al [1991]). For Current Sources the
phases are -45-degrees and +45-degrees respectively. But (perhaps)
even more curiously the values of the resistive component of the
impedance reverses, 177.6 ohms and -189.5 ohms for Voltage feed;
compared with 189.4 ohms and -177.5 ohms respectively. I had not
noticed this before.

The CFA is indeed a curious beasty.

*But with Voltage Sources I see still see currents on the wire-grid
model*. NEC is based on currents on wires.

I await with interest seeing a copy of Brian's paper.

I copy below a message I sent out yesterday --- because I note I left
you off the list. However I am not sure whether you wanted to get
involved in modelling the CFA.

I found out the reason why you were not able to open my EZNEC Antenna
file for the CFA, by sending the file to myself. I am connected to
the the the INTERNET (EUDORA) by a Macintosh --- and apparently I can
receive EZNEC Antenna Files, but I cannot send them (???).

To receive files I copy to a diskette formated for PC, and then copy
the file from the diskette to my EZNEC Directive. Works great --- but
not the other way around. Why??

If you would like to have the file let me know, and I will ask a
colleague to send it using a PC (Encoded MIME). My Macintosh will
Encode in Uuencode or BinHex, neither seems to work.

73, Jack, VE2CV

PS

I am copying this to the NEC-List, but I think we should correspond
within a smaller Group if we are addressing details of modelling ---
if others get up to speed.