Re: NEC-LIST: radiation effects on humans

From: Dave Michelson <dmichelson_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:50:15 -0700

Harold Sabbagh wrote:

> Can anybody summarize this for me (in no more than a paragraph or
> two, because that's about all a Jr. will stand), or at least point
> me to a reference or two (because that's about all that I can
> stand)?

Here's a one-line summary: Although researchers are looking very long
and hard to find a link between non-thermal RF effects and biological
damage, nothing convincing has yet been found.

Take a look at OET Bulletin Number 56 (3rd Ed., Jan. 1989) "Questions
and Answers About the Biological Effects and Potential Hazards of
Radiofrequency Radiation" for more details:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/documents/bulletins/#56

(available in both pdf and wp formats)

Abstract -- This is an informative bulletin written as a result of
increasing interest and concern of the public with respect to this
issue. The expanding use of radiofrequency technology has resulted in
speculation concerning the alleged "electromagnetic pollution" of the
environment and the potential dangers of exposure to non-ionizing
radiation. This publication is designed to provide factual information
to the public by answering some of the most commonly asked questions."

(Note that it's currently being revised and a new version will be posted
soon.)

FCC RF Safety Program

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/

Various links of interest.

Here's a reference which may be of interest in case you want to look
into the matter in greater detail:

N. Kuster, Q. Balzano, and J.C. Lin, Eds., "Mobile Communications
Safety." Chapman & Hall, 1996.
ISBN: 0412750007

Abstract - Recently, there has been interest by regulators, the public
and the manufacturers of wireless devices in the issues relating to
the safety of radio frequency (RF) energy. These issues require an
understanding of the scientific underpinnings of both physics of RF
energy and cellular biology. This book is designed to provide
precisely such cross-functional expertise. The editors of this book
intend to provide a reliable source for a sound scientific
understanding of the issues and to stimulate future scientific
advances in this area. Therefore, the audience for this book includes
such diverse groups as scientists, governmental policy-makers and
regulatory bodies, representatives of industry and the public at
large.

I hope this helps.

--
Dave Michelson