Re: NEC-LIST: The Wheeler Cap

From: <Fractenna_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 06:00:46 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/23/99 4:28:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dbaker_at_postino.up.ac.za writes:

<< Dear Chip and all,

 I can see no reason why this cannot be done at VHF, and if one uses a
 decent chicken coop with small mesh for the box all round, it should
 work. Any thoughts on this? [snip!] >>

Hi Duncan-- Our 146MHz box was coated with foil and sealed with foil
tape. We even made 'leaks' on the tape seal to see how it affected the
result. It did. Not much though.

At UHF and L band we used boxes made of copper weld, with the seals
soldered--but good.:-)

I imagine one could put a VHF CFA inside a Wheeler cap -- my question
is: can you actually BUILD (a CFA) one on 2M, for example? Does anyone
want to try:->?

I would be very interested in anyone else's Wheeler cap work, as it is
obvious that this is not a standard technique.

73
Chip N1IR