RE: NEC-LIST: Use of Galvanised wire verses stainless

From: Jim Hatchett <hatchett_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:05:45 -0600

Paul,

I have been in the wildlife telemetry business for about 15 years. It
sounds like you are doing ARGOS units. I don't think you will find a
better material than multistrand SS. As for the fatigue we generally
use a tapered strain relief device. you may also use a coated SS
spring for strain relief. This has worked well even on such difficult
species as eagles which tend to pull at the units for the entire 4
years the units are attached. I must say I'm rather surprised at the
results of your feedpoint impedance simulations. Have you done any
modeling using simulated live animal tissue structures in the near
field?

Jim Hatchett
Engineering Manager
American KSS