Re: NEC-LIST: What is Babinet Principle?

From: Douglas McKean <dmckean_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 17:35:00 -0700

At 07:23 PM 5/11/99 +0200, Samson Malaka wrote:

>I just want to find out what is really the Babinet Principle and how was
>it applied in the antenna designs. If anyone has a reference could
>he/she post it to me.

The Babinet Principle is borrowed from optics.

It has to do with the "complement" of various things. For instance,
the complement of a wire in space is a slot in a plane. Think of it
as its shadow.

Not well known to most people is that under this complement process,
the E and H fields reverse polarization. A vertical single wire
antenna has a vertically polarized E-field. Its complement is a
vertical slot in a plane. The E-field of a vertical slot is
horizontally polarized.

This can become extremely important when analyzing emission reports
from labs.